Gluten-free in Brussels, Belgium
Last updated: June 2023
Brussels is the capital city of Belgium and is renowned for its rich history, culture, and cuisine. The city is home to a number of historic landmarks and monuments, including the iconic Atomium, the impressive Royal Palace of Brussels, and the famous Manneken Pis statue. Brussels is also known for its beautiful architecture, with a range of stunning buildings, including the Gothic Notre-Dame du Sablon and the Art Nouveau townhouses.
In addition to its history, Brussels is also a popular destination for its festivals and events, such as the Brussels Summer Festival, the Brussels Flower Carpet, and the Brussels Beer Weekend. With its rich cultural heritage, beautiful architecture, and delicious cuisine, Brussels is a must-visit destination for anyone looking for a unique and memorable travel experience.
Travelling to the Netherlands? Read our gluten-free guides for cities in the Netherlands here!
Brussels is also famous for its cuisine, with a range of dishes that reflect its rich cultural heritage. One of the most famous dishes is moules-frites (mussels and fries), which is a staple of Belgian cuisine. Brussels is also renowned for its chocolate, with a number of famous chocolate shops and artisan chocolatiers.
Brussels, offers a range of options for those following a gluten-free diet. The city has a number of restaurants that specialize in gluten-free cuisine, offering a variety of dishes that are suitable for those with gluten intolerance. Many of these restaurants also offer vegan and vegetarian options. In addition to dedicated gluten-free restaurants, there are also a number of cafes and bistros that offer gluten-free options on their menu. From traditional Belgian cuisine to international dishes, there is a wide range of options available for those following a gluten-free diet in Brussels.
- Vegitopia (100% gluten-free): Ethiopian restaurant in Brussels that is vegan and gluten-free. Address: Rue des Bouchers nº30, Brussels, Belgium.
- Vegan Waf‘ (100% gluten-free): small vegan and gluten-free waffles shop. Located in the center of Brussels, near the Grand-place. Perfect place for fast and delicious Belgian waffles! Address: Galerie Agora nº103, Brussels, Belgium.
- Humus x Hortense: this restaurant combines organic and sustainably grown food with excellent cocktails. Address: Rue de Vergnies nº2, Brussels, Belgium.
- Gatsu Gatsu: this wok restaurant in the heart of Brussels offers gluten-free noodles, rice and quinoa. You can create your own wok dish with fresh ingredients. Address: Rue du Marché Aux Herbes nº99, Brussels, Belgium.
- The Sister Brussels Café‘: lots of vegan and gluten-free options in this café. The Sister Brussels is dedicated to provide a delicious mix of organic fresh food and drinks. Address: Rue Chair et Pain nº3, Brussels, Belgium.
- Frank.: coffee bar serving Australian-style breakfast dishes made from locally sourced ingredients. Gluten-free options and gluten-free alternatives to standard menu available. Address: Rue des Princes nº14, Brussels, Belgium.
- Restaurant Mozart: seafood, chicken, all you can eat ribs and more. Ask the staff for gluten-free options. Address: Pt Rue des Bouchers nº18, Brussels, Belgium.
- Hard Rock Cafe: the Hard Rock Cafe in Brussels blends modern designs with historic charm. Serving burgers and American classics. There is a separate gluten-free menu available. Address: Grand Place nº12A, Brussels, Belgium.
- Il Veliero: this gluten-free hotspot is not in the center, but it is definitely worth a visit! They are certified gluten-free and serve great Italian food. Address: Rue Général Leman nº15, Etterbeek, Belgium.
- Chambelland (100% gluten-free): delicious gluten-free bread, focaccia, cakes and more. Address: Av. de l’Université nº42, Elsene, Belgium.
- Italia in Tavola (100% gluten-free): dedicated gluten-free Italian restaurant serving beer, bread, dessert, pasta, pizza and more gluten-free treats. Address: Chau. de Waterloo nº790, Ukkel, Belgium.
La Petite Production: looking for a good brunch? At La Petite Production you can get gluten-free pancakes, French toast, poached eggs, granola with fresh fruit. Also they serve good coffee. Address: Rue du Couloir nº5, Brussels, Belgium.
I cannot guarantee that all restaurants listed above are 100% free of gluten. Always check with the restaurant for cross-contamination and whether there is an understanding for celiac disease sufferers.