Food is very important in Spain, and many restaurants can accommodate a celiac diet. Traveling to Spain? Then read our gluten-free restaurant city guides where we’ve listed al our travel and gluten-free restaurant experiences. In my eyes, Spain is a gluten-free paradise. I haven’t had a lot of issues finding gluten-free food in restaurants or grocery stores.
People in Spain are quite familiar with the gluten-free diet, nevertheless it’s still wise to take a Spanish (and maybe a Catalan) Gluten Free Restaurant Card to avoid language barriers and make gluten free travel just a bit easier. The Spanish Federation of Coeliac Associations (FACE) is made up of 17 independent associations / federations from all across the country.
Gluten-free chains in Spain
At any McDonald’s in Spain you can request a ”sin gluten”/“sense gluten“ burger, which is prepared separately and comes in a gluten free labeled box.
Gluten-free Spain: supermarkets & co.
There are lots of stores where you’ll find gluten-free ingredients, from local supermarkets to bigger chain stores and organic shops. Several stores have their own “free from” products in a dedicated gluten free product section. Certified gluten-free products will either have the FACE gluten-free logo or the EU gluten-free logo. Among other things I was able to purchase gluten-free pasta, baguettes, cookies, crackers and much more.
- Eroski – hypermarket
- Carrefour – hypermarket
- E.Leclerc – supermarket
- Spar – supermarket
- El Corte Ingles – supermarket
- Mercadona – supermarket
- Lidl / Aldi – discount supermarket
- Gluten = Gluten
- Sin gluten = Gluten free
- Soy celiaco (m), soy celiaca (f) = I am coeliac
- No puedo comer gluten / harina de trigo = I can’t eat gluten / wheat flour
- Intolerancia = Intolerance
- Alergia = Allergy
- Puede contener trazas de … = May contain traces of …
- Trigo / Almidón de trigo = Wheat / wheat starch
- Cebada = Barley
- Avena = Oats
- Centeno = Rye
- Salsa de soja = Soy sauce
- Pan = Bread
- Rebozado = Breaded
- ¿Este plato tiene harina, pan o migas de pan? = Does this dish contain flour, bread or breadcrumbs?
- Tiene harina de trigo? = Does this have wheat flour?
- Lleva harina? = Does it have flour?)
- ¿Está rebozado? = Is it coated in breadcrumbs?
- Se han frito en el mismo aceite otros alimentos que puedan contener gluten? = Have this been fried in the same oil as other food that may have gluten?
- ¿Podria tener mucho cuidado en la cocina y alejar mi plato de pan y productos con gluten? = Could you please take great care in the kitchen to keep my plate/dish away from products containing gluten?
- Gluten = Gluten
- Sense gluten = Gluten free
- Soc celíac = I’m celiac
- Blat / Farina de blat = Wheat / wheat flour
- Sóc celíac i he de seguir una dieta sense gluten = I’m coeliac and must follow a gluten-free diet
- ¿Aquest menjar conté blat, sègol, ordi o civada? = Does this dish contain wheat, rye, barley, or oats?