Curious about our travel experiences and eating gluten-free in Slovenia? Then read our gluten-free restaurant city guides!
I would absolutely recommend travelling with a Slovenian Gluten Free Restaurant Card to make gluten free travel easier. Language barriers can be one of the biggest challenges when traveling – especially when you are following a gluten-free diet. Down below you can also find some Slovenian basics. The Slovene Coeliac organization is called Slovenia drustvo za Celiakijo (no English).
Gluten-free in Slovenia: supermarkets & co.
There are several places to buy gluten-free ingredients, from local supermarkets to bigger chain stores and organic shops. Most stores have a dedicated gluten free product section. Some known gluten-free brands which you will most likely find are Glutano, Schar and Orgran.
- Interspar – supermarket
- Mercator – supermarket
- Tuš – supermarket
- Lidl – discount supermarket
- Hofer (Slovene version of Aldi) – discount supermarket
- DM – drugstore chain
- Brezglutenske izdelke = Gluten-free products
- Pšenica = Wheat
- Rž Rye
- Ječmen = Barley
- (Modificiran) Pšenični škrob = (Modified) Wheat starch
- Pira = Spelt
- Oves = Oats
- Kamut = Kamut
- Imam bolezen celiakijo in se moram držati stroge brezglutenske diete. V nasprotnem primeru lahko imam resne težave. = I suffer from an illness called coeliac disease and have to follow a strict gluten free diet, or I may become very unwell.
- Skratka, izogibati se mora hrani z vsebnostjo glutena in žitaricam. = Any contact with products containing gluten and grains should therefore be avoided.
- Ne smem jesti nobene jedi, ki vsebuje moko ali zrna pšenice, rža, ječmena in ovsa. kot npr sojine omake, testenin, pšeničnega zdroba, kruha, tort in ostalega peciva. = I cannot eat any foods containing flours or grains of wheat, rye, barley or oats, for example soy sauce, pasta, semolina, bread, cakes and pastries.
- Če v pripravi jedi niso uporabljena naslednja žita pšenica, rž, ječmen in oves, potem lahko uživam vse vrste sadja, zelenjave (tudi krompir), meso, ribe, in riž. = As long as no wheat, rye, barley or oats are used in their preparation, I can eat all kinds of fruit, vegetables (including potatoes), meat, fish and rice.